Parks & Recreation Projects
Clear Creek Stream Mitigation Bank
The City of Coralville has been approved by the US Army Corps of Engineers to create a stream mitigation bank on city-owned property along Clear Creek on the southwest border of Coralville.
The goal of the bank project is to restore a healthy stream through several in-stream methods, including:
- Creating new linear feet of waterway that restores the natural sinuosity to the channel.
- Creating riparian buffers (strips of vegetation planted next to the stream) and enhancing existing buffers.
- Shaping streambanks to create slopes capable of sustaining vegetation growth.
- Introducing toe wood/root wad structures to reduce scour and create aquatic habitat. (Scour is the removal of soil and rocks from streambeds and streambanks caused by moving water).
- Constructing rock riffles and restoring two oxbows.
Through the stream mitigation bank program, the City of Coralville will be able to sell stream credits totaling over 75,000 units during this phase of the project. The stream credit sales will fund the construction project and long-term maintenance funds for the mitigation bank.
- February 2024: Construction begins.
- September 2024: Final completion of the instream structures and grading.
- Fall 2024: Seeding and tree planting.
Tree Removal & Planting
Residents will notice tree removal in the stream bank areas. These trees are removed to be able to construct the riparian benches, which will create a much larger flood capacity for Clear Creek and will restore viable stream banks.
When construction is complete, a large tree planting project will place trees at the top of slope for the project, where they will not impact streambanks for stormwater flow.
Total construction cost estimated at $4,100,000. The project is funded through stream credit sales approved by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers.
There will be several closures during construction:
- Coralville Creekside Cross and Flow Trails: Closed February 2024 to May 2024. Anticipating opening on May 22, 2024.
- Altmaier Family Park and Disc Golf Course: Closed February 2024 to May 2024. Anticipating opening on May 22, 2024.
- Clear Creek Trail Creekside Ballpark to I380 underpass: Closed March 4, 2024 to August 2024. The City is arranging for a detour at this location.
Livestream cameras will follow this earth-moving project through its entirety.
When completed, a time lapse video will encapsulate this impactful, environmental project.
Plan & Mapping
The project prospectus contains a detailed plan and mapping.
View the Clear Creek Stream Mitigation prospectus (PDF; large file size)
The site plan includes four maps.
View Clear Creek Stream Mitigation Bank project maps (PDF)