Utility Bill & Rent Assistance
Jump to information on this page:
- Learn about a state program for rent and utility bill help.
- Apply for a state program for rent and utility bill help.
- Get more time to pay your City of Coralville utility bill.
- Fill out a form to request your City of Coralville utility bill late fees to be suspended and avoid your water being shut off.
Do you need help paying rent or utility bills due to COVID-19?
Residential Renters in Coralville May Be Eligible
Rental households in Coralville that have been impacted by COVID-19 may be eligible for assistance paying utility bills or rent through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program, which is a state program.
Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program
Eligible households may receive assistance from the state with up to 12 months of rent and/or utility payments (electricity, gas, propane or fuel oil, water, sewer, and/or trash removal).
How the state program works
- Assistance is available for bills from March 13, 2020 until September 30, 2021, or until the funds run out.
- The Iowa Finance Authority is in charge of the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program. The Iowa Finance Authority expects final rules from the U.S. Treasury Department in March 2021 and will begin to accept applications at that time.
- The information on eligibility and assistance provided here is subject to change based on the final rules. Detailed information will be at www.iowafinance.com/iowa-rent-and-utility-assistance-program/ when available.
To be eligible for the funds available through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program, households will:
- Rent their home.
- Have one or more individuals who has qualified for unemployment benefits OR has experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, or experienced other financial hardship due directly or indirectly to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Demonstrate a risk of homelessness or housing instability, which may include a past due utility or rent notice or eviction notice.
- Have annual income of no more than 80% of Area Median Income (AMI) for the number of people in the home:
|1 person||2 person||3 person||4 person||5 person||6 person||7 person||8 person|
Do you need more time to pay your utility bill?
If you need more time to pay your City of Coralville utility bill, please contact Utility Billing at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319.248.1715, regardless of eligibility for the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program.
Do you plan to apply for the state program?
Step 1: Fill Out a Form to Let the City Know
If you believe you are eligible and plan to apply for the state program, please either:
1. Take the online form: Intent to Apply for rent and utility bill help, or
2. Download and complete the printable form: Intent to Apply for rent and utility bill help. How to return the printable form:
- Email email@example.com
- Mail to it Coralville Utility Billing, PO Box 5127, Coralville, IA 52241
- Bring it to the Utility Billing office in City Hall (1512 7th Street)
- Put it in the drop box in the City Hall parking lot
Will the City help me with my utility bill late fees? Will my water be shut off?
If your answers qualify, your City of Coralville utility bill account will temporarily be exempt from late fees and water shut off. Our goal is to help you keep your water on.
After submitting the intent form, you will receive an email from Utility Billing within five business days. This email will tell you if you are temporarily exempt from late fees and water shut off.
What if I need help completing this form?
If you have questions about this form, call the City of Coralville Utility Billing at 319.248.1715 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need help completing this form or the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program application, please call the Coralville Public Library at 319.248.1850. Library staff can provide computer access and other assistance.
Step 2: Apply for the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program Each Month
The account holder will be responsible for applying for utility assistance through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program each month.
Find information on eligibility, documentation requirements, and how to apply at www.iowafinance.com/iowa-rent-and-utility-assistance-program/.
The assistance program is not provided by the City of Coralville. Questions about the program should be directed to the Iowa Finance Authority’s Recovery Help Line: 855.300.5885.
Step 3: Let the City Know You Applied for the State Program
Please notify Coralville Utility Billing at 319.248.1715 or email@example.com within 5 days of submitting your application to the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program each month. The City of Coralville will not charge late fees and will not shut off water so long as:
- you remain eligible
- funds remain available
- the City receives payment for the account