Tree Purchase Program
Tree Purchase Program: Branching Out
About the Program
Residents can participate in Branching Out, the City’s tree purchase program, in spring 2021. The City partnered with a reputable nursery to purchase a large order of hardwood trees. Property owners can order a tree for their own property or donate a tree to the park system through this program.
Trees provide shade and beauty, clean the air, and provide habitat. Coralville’s tree population was hit hard from the August 2020 derecho and from emerald ash borer. There’s never been a better time to plant a tree (or two or three).
Donate a Tree to Our Parks
Donate a tree to Coralville's parks and help expand our urban forest. The Parks Department will select the best species and location for donated trees. Trees donated through this program will be recognized in the summer 2021 Parks and Recreation Activity Guide.
Buy a Tree to Plant YourselfHow It Works
- Trees will be delivered to the Parks Shop, 900 10th Street, in late April 2021.
- You will have four days to pick up your purchased tree(s).
- Your new tree(s) will include planting information; a staff member will be on site at pick up to answer questions.
- Trees are 1.5” caliper and will be potted.
- Plant trees soon after pick up to ensure best growing conditions.
- Trees are not under warranty. A parks arborist will inspect trees upon delivery; trees that do not meet standards will be rejected.
The Branching Out program:
- is for planting trees in yards, lots, or park areas. You do not need a tree planting permit when buying and planting a tree through this program.
- is not for planting trees in the right of way (the public space between the sidewalk and the street curb). You must have a Right of Way Tree Planting Permit and inspection when planting in the right of way. Permit to plant in the right of way
It is important to have a variety of trees species in our community. Trees sold through the Branching Out program are hardwoods that thrive in Coralville, currently do not have a pest of concern, and are not overplanted in Coralville.
- Chinkapin Oak: $180
- Japanese Tree Lilac: $185
- London Planetree: $150
- Red Jewel Crabapple: $165
- Skyline Honey Locust: $170
- Triumph Elm: $170
How to Order
Deadline to order is March 21, 2021.