Iowa River Trail
Iowa River Trail: Rocky Shore Drive to Clear Creek
The Iowa River Trail is being constructed from Rocky Shore Drive to Clear Creek. This project includes two prefabricated steel truss bridges over Clear Creek and a 10-foot-wide concrete trail from Rocky Shore Drive to connect to the Iowa River Trail on the north side of Clear Creek.
- Start: Site preparation began in October 2020
- Estimated completion: A majority of the project, including bridge placement and trail paving, is scheduled for completion by July 1, 2021
- Bid by the Iowa DOT on August 18, 2020
- Low bid: Peterson Contractors, Inc., at $1,250,395.65
- Funding: The project received $619,000 of DOT Surface Transportation Program funds with the balance funded by the City
- The two prefabricated 90' bridge sections were transported from Colfax, WI to Coralville on February 2
- On February 3, the two bridge sections were placed on site, spanning Clear Creek
- Will start forming up trail along retaining wall
- Ornamental guardrail will go in
- Dirt work was delayed May 3 & 4 due to heavy rains and muddy conditions
- All light poles are set
- Work on conduit and boxes
- Adjusted grading along retaining wall
- Started topsoil/finish work on the north side
- Mason work on limestone veneer
- Macadam stone base placement and further subgrade preparation
- Subdrain placement behind retaining wall
- Finished macadam stone slope protection on north abutment.
- Bridge cleaning (power wash existing pier)
- Structural concrete coating on abutments
- Removed remaining required pavement on north, prepped subgrade
- Subgrade prep on south, density and moisture test on north for pavement
- Formed and poured concrete on the bridge approach and Clear Creek Trail segment
- Set forms for trail pour on north
- Poured trail segment on north of bridge; started installing veneer
- Finished the south retaining wall to wrap up the structural work until the bridges arrive in early February
- Poured south abutment backwall and columns
- Poured north retaining wall cap
- Rebar/formwork/pour on south retaining wall cap
- Abutment wingwall rebar and formwork
- Finished drainage culverts on north and south of existing retaining wall, poured north abutment backwall and columns, placed rebar for south abutment backwall and columns, placed rebar for north retaining wall cap and formwork, and placed a portion of macadam stone slope protection at abutments.
Drove piles and poured forms for north and south abutments
*Updated May 10, 2021
Closures & Detour
Trail segment closures
Two trail segments are temporarily closed from December 16, 2020 until late June 2021:
- Clear Creek Trail from 1st Avenue east to the Iowa River Trail.
- Iowa River Trail from Clear Creek to 400 feet south of the Iowa River Pedestrian Bridge.
The detour route uses the sidewalk along the east side of 1st Avenue between 5th Street and Clear Creek. The Clear Creek Trail underpass of 1st Avenue and the Iowa River Pedestrian Bridge connection to the Peninsula Neighborhood in Iowa City remain open.