Coral Ridge Avenue Improvements
Coral Ridge Avenue Improvements: Oakdale Boulevard to Forevergreen Road
Coral Ridge Avenue from Oakdale Boulevard to Forevergreen Road will undergo total reconstruction in 2018. This is the final section of Coral Ridge Avenue that needs to be improved.
After work is complete, this widened one mile stretch of Coral Ridge Avenue will feature:
- Four lanes (widened from the current two lanes), with a raised center median and dedicated turn lanes at all intersections
- Upgraded traffic signals at both Oakdale Boulevard and Forevergreen Road
- New traffic signals at both University Parkway and Wheaton Road
- New pedestrian tunnel just north of Oakdale Boulevard
- New 10' path along the west side of Coral Ridge Avenue
- New storm sewer system and stormwater quality enhancements
- Roadway lighting
- Bid in January 2018
- Low bid: $8,451,528.03 (Peterson Contractors Inc. of Reinbeck, Iowa)
- Funding: The Iowa Department of Transportation is contributing $1.7 million, with the balance coming from local funds and assessments. The City of North Liberty is also contributing funds to this project since a portion of the project is located within North Liberty.
- Estimated start: March 2018, weather permitting
- Estimated completion: December 2018, weather permitting (driving lanes, trail, and traffic signals)
- Landscaping and final work: Spring 2019, weather permitting
Traffic Impact on Coral Ridge Avenue
- There will be traffic delays
- One lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction on Coral Ridge Avenue through the project corridor
- Detour, approximately mid-May through mid-November: Coral Ridge Avenue traffic will detour using Oakdale Boulevard, Crosspark Road, and Wheaton Road to give the contractor full access to this section of the roadway. While it is inconvenient, this temporary closure will speed up the overall project timeline.
- Access to businesses will be maintained at all times
- Pedestrian access will be maintained using temporary surfacing and channelizing barriers
- The first weekly job meeting was held on March 8. Meetings are Thursdays at 10:00 am at City Hall, until further notice. The public is welcome to attend and participate.
- Work expected to start on Monday, March 12, 2018, weather permitting, includes:
- Removals on the northeast corner of the Oakdale Boulevard and Crosspark Road intersection in preparation for widening the north leg of the intersection from 2 lanes to 3 lanes (2 southbound; 1 northbound).
- Preparation for temporary signal installation at the Coral Ridge Avenue and Oakdale Boulevard intersection. The current traffic signals will be removed once the temporary signals are functional and traffic control is setup for Segment A-1.
- Tree removals through entire project corridor (only what is necessary).
- The first major impact on drivers will be when the Segment A-1 traffic control is set up(see "Resources"). Segment A-1 will reconstruct the southeast and southwest corners of the Coral Ridge Avenue and Oakdale Boulevard intersection, and will require east-west traffic on Oakdale Boulevard will run head-to-head on the north side of the center medians. During Segment A-1, northbound and southbound Coral Ridge Avenue will each have a combined thru/right turn lane and a dedicated left turn lane at the Oakdale Boulevard intersection.
*As of March 8, 2018
In anticipation of the project, underground duct banks were proactively constructed in 2017. These duct banks provided places for the private utilities companies to relocate their overhead and underground facilities to be out of the way before the 2018 improvement projects. The duct banks should minimize delays caused by private utility relocations, which can be common during street projects.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards along 1st Avenue during construction
- Check local news for media releases
- Attend weekly meetings with the City and the contractors, and open to the public:
- Thursdays from 10:00-11:00 am
- Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.)
- call 319.248.1720 for more information
Northbound 1st Avenue will be reduced to one lane from just south of 6th Street to just south of 9th Street Read on...
Drivers should prepare for 1st Avenue & Coral Ridge Avenue road work Read on...
New traffic signals are now in operation Read on...
Trail between the Iowa River Power Restaurant parking lot & E. 7th Street/Quarry Road intersection closed until further notice Read on...