Coral Ridge Avenue Improvements
Coral Ridge Avenue Improvements: Oakdale Boulevard to Forevergreen Road
Coral Ridge Avenue from Oakdale Boulevard to Forevergreen Road underwent total reconstruction in 2018 and continued in 2019. This was the final section of Coral Ridge Avenue to be improved.
This widened one mile stretch of Coral Ridge Avenue features:
- Four lanes (widened from the current two lanes), with a raised center median and dedicated turn lanes at all intersections
- Upgraded traffic signals at both Oakdale Boulevard and Forevergreen Road
- New traffic signals at both University Parkway and Wheaton Road
- New pedestrian tunnel just north of Oakdale Boulevard
- New 10' trail along the west side of Coral Ridge Avenue
- New storm sewer system and stormwater quality enhancements
- Roadway lighting and landscaping
- Bid in January 2018
- Low bid: $8,451,528.03 (Peterson Contractors Inc. of Reinbeck, Iowa)
- Funding: The Iowa Department of Transportation is contributing $1.7 million, with the balance coming from local funds and assessments. The City of North Liberty is also contributing funds since a portion of the project is located within North Liberty.
- Start: March 2018
- Winter shutdown: Late 2018-late March 2019
- Completion: All lanes, intersections, and sidewalks opened in late August 2019
- The west side trail will be reconstructed in spring or summer 2020 to fix cross-slope problems.
- The streetscape around the Coral Ridge Avenue/Forevergreen Road intersection will be completed in spring 2020.
Maps & Documents
- Project map and construction staging plan (PDF)
- Coral Ridge Avenue project schedule (PDF) - updated November 9, 2018
- "Construction That Is Worth the Wait" (March 28, 2019)
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: August 21"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: July 31"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: July 10"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: June 25"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: June 5"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of May 14"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of April 30"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of April 16"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of April 9"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of April 2"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Update: Week of March 26"
- "Coral Ridge Avenue Road Reconstruction: The Basics" (March 20, 2018)
In anticipation of the project, underground duct banks were proactively constructed in 2017. These duct banks provided places for the private utilities companies to relocate their overhead and underground facilities to be out of the way before the 2018 improvement projects. The duct banks should minimize delays caused by private utility relocations, which can be common during street projects.