Social Media Commenting
About Social Media CommentingThe City of Coralville uses social media, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Nextdoor, as a public service to disseminate information. We encourage comments, concerns, and questions regarding any of the topics on our social media pages.
However, the City reserves the right to restrict or remove content if it violates the guidelines listed below:
- No comments that foster, promote, or perpetuate illegal discrimination, including discrimination against age, color, creed, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
- No graphic, profane, obscene, libelous, defamatory, harassing, bullying, or threatening language or comments, nor personal attacks or defamatory statements.
- No solicitations or advertisements.
- No comments that compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
- No copyrighted or trademarked material.
- No comments promoting illegal activity.
- No fraudulent, deceptive, or misleading comments.
- No off topic comments.
- No comments that support or oppose political campaigns, candidates, or ballot measures.
- No comments containing protected information, including social security numbers or passwords.
- No comments that violate the social media platform statement of rights and responsibilities, commenting guidelines, or policies.
The City of Coralville maintains the right to limit or remove the comment featured on City social media sites without public notice.
The following may be used in response to comment violations: "The City of Coralville uses social media as a public service to disseminate information. We encourage comments, concerns, and questions regarding any of the topics on our social media pages. The City reserves the right to remove posts if they violate the guidelines listed at www.coralville.org/socialmediacomments. Future violations may result in being blocked from this forum. For more information, please see www.coralville.org/socialmediacomments."
The City of Coralville assumes no liability for any inaccuracies this site or social media pages may contain and does not guarantee that they will be uninterrupted or error-free. Information and comments posted on the City of Coralville social media pages in no way constitute a legal or official notice or comment to the City of Coralville. Portions of the City of Coralville website may also apply.
The public comments expressed on social media do not reflect the City of Coralville, City administration, City Council, City Boards and Commissions, City employees, or City volunteers. Organizations and individuals are responsible for the content or comments they provide on the City’s social media pages. The City is not responsible for the content nor endorses any site which comments on or links to social media pages. The City is not liable for any content accessible from an external website, including advertisements, videos, or comments. Any inclusion of external content or comments on external social media does not imply endorsement by the City of Coralville.
Comments on the City’s social media accounts will not be considered an official request to the City and will not constitute legal notice to the City including, but not limited to, of a public record request, hazard, or police report.
To report a social media comment in violation, please contact us at www.coralville.org/letusknow.