About the City Budget
Each year, the City prepares a budget that accounts for the City's anticipated expenses and revenues for the upcoming fiscal year. In conformance with the Code of Iowa, the City must produce a balanced budget for each fiscal year, which runs from July 1 through June 30.
See the Budget
Understand the Budget
- View budget glossary
|Fall 2022||Departments begin budget review|
|Late 2022||Departments submit budget requests, requests are reviewed, and revenues are projected|
|January & February 2023||City Council discusses budget at work sessions|
|February 2023||Iowa Legislature corrected their error in the property tax rollback formula|
|March 3, 2023||City receives final figures from Johnson County Auditor|
|March 14, 2023||Set the maximum property tax levy public hearing at the City Council meeting|
|March 28, 2023||Hold the maximum property tax levy public hearing at the City Council meeting|
|April 25, 2023||Budget presented to the public at the City Council Meeting|
|April 25, 2023||Hold the public hearing of proposed budget at the City Council meeting
(Note: this was scheduled for April 11 but has moved to April 25)
|April 25, 2023||City Council votes on adopting budget at the City Council meeting|
|By April 30, 2023||Deadline to file budget with Johnson County Auditor and with the State|
|July 1||Budget goes into effect (July 1-June 30)|
The City welcomes public input about the City budget. To share your feedback about the budget or learn more:
Attend, Comment, or Watch
- Attend City Council meetings (second and fourth Tuesdays of the month) and speak during the community comment period (a time for public comment, but not discussion; it is a violation of open meeting laws for the Council to discuss items not on the agenda).
- Attend City Council work sessions, held immediately following most council meetings.
- Attend and comment at the public budget hearing.
- Submit written comments no later than 5:00 pm on the day of the meeting to City Clerk Thor Johnson, email@example.com, or at 1512 7th Street, Coralville, IA 52241.
- To comment in person at meetings during Community Comments or Public Hearings, come to City Hall for the meeting.
- Coralville City Council meetings are open to all individuals regardless of language spoken or disability. Any person requiring a reasonable accommodation to participate should contact the City Clerk’s office at 319.248.1700 email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two business days prior to the meeting.
- View City Council meetings live and rebroadcast on cable television at Mediacom 118-8, or online at www.coralville.org/coralvision
Let Us Know
- View City Council agendas, minutes, and work session notes.
- View live and rebroadcast City Council meetings on CoralVision (Mediacom 118-8 digital) or online.
When Is the Public Hearing for the Proposed FY2024 Budget?
The City Council will conduct a public hearing on the proposed FY2024 budget on Tuesday, April 25 at 6:30 pm at the City Council meeting held at Coralville City Hall, 1512 7th St., Coralville, IA 52241.
What Is the Proposed Property Tax Levy Hearing?
Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 6:30 pm
The property tax levy hearing was a new step in the budget process added through state legislation passed in May 2019; this additional step aims to further notify the public about property tax changes.
The public hearing for the proposed Fiscal Year 2024 property tax levy is scheduled for:
City Council meeting
Tuesday, March 28, 2023 at 6:30 pm
Coralville City Hall, 1512 7th Street
At the public hearing, any resident or taxpayer may present objections to, or arguments in favor of, the proposed tax levy. After adoption of the proposed property tax levy, the Council will publish notice and hold a hearing on the proposed city budget.
The notice for the hearing contains three columns of information:
- The first column shows the property tax dollars and rates for the current fiscal year.
- The second column carries those same property tax dollars forward to Fiscal Year 2024 and calculates the tax rate that would produce.
- The third column shows the property tax dollars and rate proposed for Fiscal Year 2024, including a calculation of the percentage change.
Coralville’s property tax levy rate is $14.3123 per $1,000 of taxable valuation. Coralville’s property tax levy rate is established by the City. The City Council is not proposing a change to the property tax rate for FY2024.