Aisle of Lights
Aisle of Lights
c/o City of Coralville
1512 7th St.
Coralville, IA 52241
Aisle of Lights
See how thousands of white paper sacks, each filled with sand and a votive candle, create a magical scene on a winter evening! Miles of luminarias are available for viewing by foot or car.
Aisle of Lights is held annually on the second Sunday in December. Area businesses and organizations often free host activities for all ages.
Aisle of Lights is only possible with community participation when residents and businesses light luminarias along their sidewalks in the evening. Coralville’s annual Aisle of Lights luminaria display began in 1980.
Sunday, December 10, 2023
Light luminarias on Sunday from 5:00 to 9:00 pm (see "Events" below for related activities).
Where to See Luminarias
1. Residents and businesses throughout Coralville are invited to light luminarias on their sidewalks.
2. The City and community volunteers will light luminarias on:
- Holiday Road (1st Avenue to 12th Avenue)
- 12th Avenue (7th Street to Holiday Road)
- 7th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 8th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 5th Street (City Hall to the Library)
- Biscuit Creek trail from 5th Street to 6th Street (next to Old Town Hall, 407 5th St.)
- Coralville Veterans Memorial/Oak Hill Cemetery (300 luminarias for the 300 veterans buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, courtesy of the Coralville American Legion Auxiliary)
Where to See Holiday Lights & Displays
See a map of the community's favorite light displays at www.coralville.org/holidaylights throughout December.
Aisle of Lights is held snow or shine, and will not be rescheduled if the weather doesn't cooperate. In the event of wind, sleet, or rain, light luminarias as you are able.
Sand donated by Hawkeye Ready Mix.
Aisle of Lights Activities*
Sunday, December 10, 2023*
Additional Activities To Be Announced
Additional activities will be announced closer to the event.
Luminarias throughout Coralville
Light luminarias on your sidewalks and tour the twinkling lights!
*Events subject to change.
To be listed, events must relate to Aisle of Lights and be community-focused, open to the public and all ages, and free unless otherwise noted. Inclusion does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by the City. Contact individual organizers for information.
How to Make Luminarias
- Get free sacks and sand beginning Monday, December 4:
- Pick up sacks at Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.) or the Coralville Recreation Center (1506 8th St.)
- Pick up sand at the Aquatic Center parking lot (1513 7th St.), adjacent to City Hall, in the west side of the lot; bring a container to transport sand.
- Buy votive candles.
- Place sacks, weighted with sand and a candle, along your sidewalks (roughly every third sidewalk square). Tip: Fold the top edge of the sack down for extra sturdiness.
- Light your candles by 5:00 pm on Sunday. Please clean up your luminarias by 9:00 am on Monday.
Available beginning December 4, 2023
Would you like to invite your neighbors to light luminarias? Download and print our handy neighborhood invitation!
View the twinkling lights throughout Coralville at your leisure (we suggest viewing the luminarias on 5th Street, 12th Avenue, and Holiday Road, as well as those placed by residents and businesses throughout Coralville).
Limited Bus Tours*
The City of Coralville provides a free wheelchair-accessible bus to tour the lights on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
- Capacity is limited, and space for all riders is not guaranteed. Each round is first come, first served.
- Departs from City Hall (1512 7th Street) at approximately 5:15 pm, 6:00 pm, and 6:45 pm.
- Free and open to the public.