On this page:
Curbside pick-up for large items, appliances and electronics, and tires is available upon request.
- The charges will be added to your utility bill.
- Available to Coralville residents with city trash and recycling services (which serves single family and duplex housing, and some multi-plexes).
- If you live in an apartment or have a condo owner's association with private refuse services, call your provider to find out how to dispose of large items.
To schedule a special garbage pickup:
- Call the Streets Department at 319.248.1740 during business hours, or
- Complete and submit an online request for pickup.
Coralville also offers Mayor's Clean Up Week in the spring and fall for free disposal of large, broken items.
We will pick up items by appointment that are too large for your garbage cart, such as furniture, carpet, and bathroom fixtures. Some restrictions apply; see "Rules" below.
Appliances & Electronics
Broken appliances and electronics are picked up by appointment on the last consecutive Thursday and Friday of each month. These items are recycled and do not belong in your trash.
|DVD, VCR, laser printer, inkjet printer||$6|
|Computer, keyboard, tower||$18|
|Appliances: Air conditioner, dehumidifier, dishwasher, dryer, microwave, refrigerator, stove, washer, water heater, etc.||$18|
Tires are picked up by appointment on the last consecutive Thursday and Friday of each month.
|Car tires (no rim)||$5|
|Car tires (with rim)||$7|
What We Won't Pick Up
We do not accept the following in curbside trash, special pickups by appointment, or during Mayor's Clean Up Week:
- Concrete brick or block
- Construction materials (including drywall, shingles, insulation, etc.)
- Hazardous waste**
- Hot tubs
- Railroad ties & landscaping timbers
- Wooden swingsets
Items must be able to be reasonably lifted by two people. We cannot collect heavier items.
Items must fit in the back of the garbage truck. Dismantle large items.
The City reserves the right to deny collection of any items deemed hazardous to our trucks or personnel. For example, large railroad ties can puncture our trucks' hopper and hydraulics when placed in the hopper. If you're unsure if your items are acceptable, please call 319.248.1740.
Do not leave your garbage at other people's curbs.
Thrify Trash Pickers
If someone helps themselves to your curbside items and leaves a mess behind, you are responsible for cleaning it up.
Donate Working Items
Consider donating usable items to Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity ReStore (2401 Scott Boulevard SE, Iowa City):
- Free pick-up
- Donations are tax-deductible
- ReStores sells the items and the proceeds support Iowa Valley Habitat for Humanity
- Call Restore at 319.338.5687, or
- Request a pickup at www.iowacityrestore.com
- Building & plumbing supplies
- Cabinets & shelving @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Doors & windows
- Flooring & tile
- Furniture @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Hardware & tools
- Mattresses & box springs (new or gently used; for Houses into Homes program) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>