About Council & Mayoral ElectionsThe Coralville City Council is made up of five Council members who serve overlapping four-year terms. The Mayor, who is not a member of the Council, is elected for a two-year term. These non-partisan, at-large positions are elected by Coralville citizens.
Learn more: City Council and Mayor.
On this page:
2021 City Election
The 2021 City Election is November 2, 2021. The office of Mayor and three City Council positions will be on the ballot. Terms begin January 1, 2022.
The Johnson County Auditor’s Office handles candidate filing and elections (see "Candidate & Voter Resources" and "Running for Office" below). Polls will be open from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm on November 2.
Mayor (one to be elected; two-year term)
- Meghann Foster
City Council (three to be elected; four year terms)
- Laurie Goodrich
- Hai Huynh
- Mike Knudson
- Cindy Riley
Each candidate on the ballot for the November 2, 2021 City Election was invited to record a candidate video statement. Videos appear in alphabetical order.
City of Coralville Mayor Election
City Council Election
Watch the candidate forum held October 4, 2021
Hosted by the League of Women Voters of Johnson County
Candidate & Voter Resources
- Election information (voter registration, absentee ballots, where to vote, and election calendar)
- City Council documents (agendas, minutes, videos, and work session notes)
Ways to Vote in the City Election
Elections are managed by the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.
- In person: In person early voting begins on October 13, 2021, at the Auditor's Office, 913 S. Dubuque St. Suite 101, Iowa City.
- Absentee by mail: voters may vote absentee by mail.
- October 13, 2021: Absentee ballots will be mailed out.
- October 18, 2021: Deadline for requests for mailed absentee ballots to be received in the Johnson County Auditor's Office.
- Mailed absentee ballots may be returned to Auditor's Office until 8:00 pm on November 2, 2021. A drop box will be located on the south side of the Johnson County Administration Building, 913 S. Dubuque St., Iowa City.
- November 2, 2021: Election day. Polls open 7:00 am-8:00 pm.
- Voters may only vote in their designated voting location on Election Day. Find your voting location
- All seven regular Coralville precincts will be open.
For voter registration deadlines, early voting information, and polling places:
- Visit www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/auditor/elections.
- Call the Johnson County Auditor’s office at 319.356.6004.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Run for Public Office
People wishing to run for city office may get nomination papers (Affidavit of Candidacy and Nomination Petition) and a Candidate's Guide at:
- August 23-September 16, 2021 by 5:00 pm: Candidate filing period. Candidates submit completed nomination papers to the Johnson County Auditor's Office, which verifies if the nomination papers are complete and sufficient for filing. Nomination papers for prospective candidates can only be accepted at the Johnson County Auditor's office, and not at City Hall.
- September 21, 2021: Withdrawn or objection deadline for candidates.
The City of Coralville’s nomination process is by petition, with only one election. Candidates are required to have a minimum of 25 signatures of registered voters residing on Coralville on their petitions.
Filing Nomination Papers
- Candidates may begin collecting signatures at any time.
- Nomination papers must include the Affidavit of Candidacy and the Nomination Petition, and cannot be accepted before the filing period begins or after 5:00 pm on the last day nomination papers can be filed.