About the City Budget
Each year, the City prepares a budget that accounts for the City's anticipated expenses and revenues for the upcoming fiscal year. In conformance with the Code of Iowa, the City must produce a balanced budget for each fiscal year, which runs from July 1 through June 30.
See the Budget
View adopted City budgets
| View Fiscal Year 2015 City budget
| View financial documents
|| Budget Process
|September / October
||Departments begin budget review
|November / December
||Departments submit budget requests to the Director of Finance and City Administrator
|Departmental budget review meetings to discuss budget requests
|Projection of revenues for all funds for the fiscal year, based on taxable property valuation information from the county, as well as user fees generated in the Enterprise Funds.
|December / January / February
||City Council budget work sessions
|March 11, 2014
||Presentation of proposed budget at City Council meeting
|March 11, 2014
||Public budget hearing at City Council meeting
|March 15, 2014
||Budget filed with County Auditor, and subsequently placed on file with the State of Iowa
|July 1, 2014
||FY 2015 Budget goes into effect (July 1, 2014 – June 30, 2015)
The City welcomes citizen input about the City budget. To share your ideas and feedback about the budget or learn more:
- Attend City Council meetings (second and fourth Tuesdays of the month) and speak during the citizen comment period (this is a time for public comment, but not discussion; it is a violation of open meeting laws for the Council to discuss items not on the agenda).
- Attend City Council work sessions, held immediately following most council meetings.
- Attend and comment at the public budget hearing.
- Contact your City Council, Mayor, and City Administration. View directory
- Comment online at any time.
- View City Council agendas, minutes, and work session notes.
- View live and rebroadcast City Council meetings on CoralVision Cable Television Channel 5 or online.